Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Dryer heating element stays on

No, it shouldn't be on without the dryer running; I'm pretty
positive of that much.

I didn't know they could be shorted to nearby metal and make them
come on, but it sounds like at least a couple of the posters have
experienced it. Interesting scenario, to say the least.

It's also possible that one of the timer switches has gone
haywire somehow, which is a real pain for DIY, so changing the
element, which is pretty cheap, relatively speaking, is probably
the right thing to do, I agree.

Careful: If something's shorting somehow, you could get a
surprise working on it g. 220 wiring is "strange" if you're
not experienced with it.

HTH,

Pop

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
: I've recently noticed that our Kenmore dryer's heating element
will come on
: when the dial is turned to set the drying time, but before the
"start"
: button is pushed. In other words, If I set the timer to 40
minutes or
: whatever and walked away without pushing start, the heating
element would
: continue to be on indefinitely.
:
: The dryer has no problems shutting down after a cycle, but it
seems unsafe
: to have the heating element going if you set the time, but for
some reason
: do not start the dryer.
:
: My questions, a Is this a normal operation (we no longer
have the
: Manual)? If this is a broken state, is it repairable?
:
: Thanks!
:
: --