Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

Default How to make a rod bending jig

"mlcorson" wrote: (clip) Leo, the HF bender would not give me a large
enough bend. Using the maximum 3" size die would give me a an aprox 3"
diameter bend. Correct?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was not suggesting using the included dies with the bender to form the 7"
semicircle. I am suggesting that you feed the rebar through the bender,
making little pulls on the handle to form an arc. Then feed it through
again, making more little pulls to close the bend. It will not be
difficult to make a 7" semicircle in the middle of a piece of rebar, with
straight legs 7" apart. You may have a little trouble getting both legs the
same length without practice. If this is important, you could cut the legs
afterward to the desired length.

Another way to use the bender would be to use it to make a circular die to
form the 7" semicircle. That would involve trial and error to get the right
diameter for the die, and probably wouldn't be worth it for only six pieces.