Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Advice please - 3 way light switches - I just moved into an older house

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:14:46 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

A switch circut with two spdt switches has two on states,
and two off states. I like them set up so the
light is on whenever the two switches are in the same
position.

Certainly, but Larry had three "on" states and only one "off" state
(which could be done with parallel SPST switches). "Three-way"
certainly is a curious terminology.

People do it all the time with just regular SPDTs, but usually
they call that a "mistake". More often, they get three offs
and one on.

If there's only one off-state, then one of your switches is
redundant.

Not entirely. You get to choose which is redundant without rewiring.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com