Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Choosing correct boiler size

I am in the process of buying a new boiler (I posted a few days back).
I had 3 different contractors come up with the same sized boiler in
their bids. I have done a couple of heat loss calculations and came
up with a figure of 60,000 BTU heat loss. Program used sq feet of each
room plus exterior wall area, window and door area, with general
categories of insulation and window. I'm not sure if this is correct.
All contractors chose a boiler with a range of about 60-110BTU (IBR net
rating), which is the second smallest available. I also explained that
I wanted to eventually refinish my basement (which is currently
unheated. I don't think any of the contractors did a heat loss calc,
although the one I am going with offerred to.

Does this sound like the correct size boiler? Thanks.