Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Coffeepot temperature

On 16 Jan 2006 15:59:00 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "rigger"
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques's evaluation follows:

snip
Show me a car manufacturer who states that their cars are safe under

any and all (seen and unforseen) conditions and I'll give you that
one. But I doubt you'll find one.

So you think that way, huh? How about a ladder manufacturer whose
ladders fail to support the average person & fail when you're at the
top because it was CHEAPER to manufacturer? How about if they KNEW
this would happen, from time to time. Is this the type of
manufacturer/person YOU are? I didn't think so. If you DID make an
honest mistake would you try to compensate a person hurt by your
intensional or unintensional oversite? I hope so and I think this is
what most here would do. Why should it be different for Ford or anyone
else, for that matter? Please try, at least mentally if not online, to
answer all the questions.

Now you want to fault laddder manufacturers for stupid people tricks?
Ladders have a rating that I see exceeded all the time. The ladder
labels (they need labels?) say "DON'T STAND HERE" on the top. That is
often covered by both feet of the Darwinian Candidate.

If a ladder fails to support the rated weight, the mfgr is at fault
and they should pay the price. BUT, have you seen the stupid crap
people try on ladders? They don't clean the junk beneath the feet of
the ladder, put them on inclines, put extension ladders too vertical,
don't open a-frames fully and lock the stays, etc. It's ridiculous.
The American (world) people and manufacturers shouldn't have to pay
for that type of injury. Let Darwin have these fools.

Nobody put people in harm's way, Dennis. IMHO, what happens to a car

during or after a collision is up to fate.

Unless it's the manufacturer of the Ford Pinto (and some others). I
suggest you do some research first before making such statements.

I was smack dab in the middle of that at the time, Dennis. I worked
for a Ford dealer at the tie and actually installed some of those
nylon guards. Later, after an accident while using a tow truck dolly
system, I had to give up my Scout and get into a smaller car with
power steering and auto trans. I ended up in a little Pinto which
never crashed and burned.

You Liberals want to make everything which happens in life to be safe

and you want to use OUR money to do it. I disagree and feel that what
you promote is not right, just, or fair. Tell you what, let's make 2
different sets of rules. Those of you who want everything safe and
cozy can have it for yourselves and YOU pay for it.

Liberal??? Because I care about people? Show me your NRA card and
I'll show you mine.

Liberal ideas, then.

A seperate set of rules? Why don't you just move somewhere else? I'm
sure some
other countries (I'm assuming you're in the US) share your views more
closely.

Because I don't want to live elsewhere. I want to live here in the USA
under sane laws, not nanny laws like the EU is ending up with. Eek!
You want us to adopt those. Why don't YOU move? You'd love it there
where it's impossible to hurt yourself. g

The rest of us will _party_on_, living much happier (though possibly

shorter) lives

Speak for yourself. Go skydiving more. That's OK. But don't inflict
your attitude on others.
The important thing is peoples lives, not your money and fun.

That's the idea I was trying to get across to you. Do your own thing
and don't **** up other people's lives with it. If you want tighter
rules which "keep you safe", do it on your own time and money, _not_
_ours_! Get people to buy a frackin' clue!

But tell me, would the color of my skin make any difference to you?
Start thinking for yourself.

Where'd that come from? No, skin color makes no difference to me.
I dislike that type of Liberal thinking no matter the color of the
person's skin.

Larry, it works like this: Look around you. See there are
unscrupulous people who would like to part you from your money
regardless of the consequences to you or anyone else. Some of these
people may even be sociopath's (look it up) who care NOTHING about
human pain, misery or life as long as they get theirs (I KNOW that's
not you, right?).

Yes, those are bad people.

There are laws which protect people against
sociopath's or perhaps you think people should only have protection in
case of direct physical attack and no other? Perhaps you're one people
should be cautious purchasing from or contracting with? No, your hand
is your bond? I like that but there are those who take advantage of
this. Not convinced? Look around some more.

Not convinced, and I'm quite aware, thanks. So, you're saying that you
would have caught the original engineering oversight in the Pinto? An
oversight (problems caused by 35+ mph rear-end collisions don't figure
into the engineering drawings) is just that. Our legal environment
provided the rest. A legal system spurred on by people like you, who
think that people should be safeguarded from themselves at everyone
else's expense. I believe in people taking personal responsibility.
We'll doubtless ever agree, but I couldn't let your statements go by
unhindered.

If you thought you'd been wronged by a large company you'd do nothing?
Or, like John Wayne, would you go punch them in their corporate mouth?
Not enough money for legal fees? Too bad; unless there are laws to
protect you against this type of business practice. Even on this
newsgroup people have mentioned being taken advantage of by others.
However this is NOT the Wild West or even a video game; these are real
people.

Well, I got screwed on a paint job by Ford. The primer was bad and
they wouldn't repaint the whole thing, just the top. The dealership
said it would cost another $800 to do the vertical surfaces. The
average cost of paint jobs back then was $400 for a complete. I'd like
to punch their corporate mouths for the thinking behind that. I wrote
letters instead...to no avail. C'est la guerre, non?

Although I like your sig perhaps you'll like this one better?

"There's a sucker born every minute". P.T. Barnum (I think). You
like? If you think this suits you better feel free to add it after
your signature.

Not even close. G'night, Gracie. (This sig fits me.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --