Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Coffeepot temperature

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:47:20 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

That's rather naive. If they had no legal standing they would not
have to pay taxes. Corps are simply legal entities that do business
as an individual or partnership might do while separating the
business identity from the personal identities of any particular
individuals.

Forgot to mention that a publicly-held corp's shares are traded
on a public market. That offers the opportunity (and risk) for
investors to buy shares in the corp to participate in the corp's
success (or failure) with no active participation or contribution
other than investment, said investor hoping for better ROI than
guaranteed ROI on bonds or bank CD's. Investment in shares
supplies capital for the corp to use for growth, rather like a
bank loan but without specified interest rate. It might also be
skimmed by greedy corp managers with a shell game re Enro and Tyco.
Those run-ups were fed by public greed that the feeders artfully
expoited. Bidness is bidness, greed is "in", tough **** if you're
tactically-deficient in this terrain yelping "me first".

Privately-held corps work a bit differently, but I think your hard-on
is is with large publicly-held corps so the point is moot.