Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeP

Default OSB as carpet underlayment?

In article .com,
says...

I specified "underlayment suitable for carpet application" in the
contract. What I found so far is that APA does not recommend "rated
sheathing" material as underlayment for any floor, only "Sturd-I-Floor"
OSB is recommended for carpeting.

Per the APA website, OSB APA Rated Sturd-I-Floor is an OSB panel
intended for *single-layer* flooring.

"underlayment suitable for carpet application" does not
require/equal 'OSB APA Rated Sturd-I-Floor'.

But I am not saying that what we have
now won't work, just wanted to educate myself before talking to the
business owner. Do you know if the OSB you have seen is the
"sturd-i-floor" stuff?

Some of the OSB I have seen is APA Rated 'Sturd-I-Floor', most was
not.

APA Rated Stud-I-Floor is an OSB panel designed for a specific use.
OSB Rated Sheathing is more than strong enough when used as carpet
underlayment because the strength of the floor is in the subfloor.

I think the real issues are ....
Does the underlayment need to be repaired or replaced?
Which specific locations need to be repaired or replaced.
Who pays for the repair/replacement.
Was the subfloor adequate?