Posted to sci.engr.civil,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Al Bundy

Default Pier and Beam, piers only 18"?

"SQLit" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having a manufactured home put up in North Texas, in the middle
of a drought.

My site is on the side of a hill, and the mobile home retailer
contracted some guys to dig out the the hill and use that dirt to
level a spot for the home. On one end of the pad, the non-native
soil is about 18"-24" deep. On the other end, almost solid rock.

All they did to pack the soil was to drive over it with a small
dozer.

I have no experience in this and asked several people if this will
work, most said it is a bad idea.

So on the suggestion on many, I decided to go pier and beam. All the
pier and beam guys I called will only go down to 18" piers max.

My questions is, if you put 18" piers in soil that isn't packed that
good, am I getting any benefit from the piers, or am I still gonna
have alot of problems?

Piers and footings where I live are considered by depth into
undisturbed soil.

"undisturbed soil"

Dems the buzz words I heard from a town inspector/engineer.