Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Removal of old ceramic tile

wrote in message
We want to remove about 200 square feet of old ceramic tile in our
kitchen...its been down for about 6 years and we want to replace it with
a different tile. Can I just chisel and scrape each tile off? What about
using a power scraper tool that I could rent? The tile place wants $300
to remove it and cart it away. Any tips that would help me to do it
myself would be appeciated.

Doug and Patty

A wide point chisel is best 3-4 inches.

I just spent $120 on a 4 inch wide spade bit for my Hilti TE-52. I am
removing more than 200 feet.

It is not hard but very labor intensive.

Hate to tell you this but if the floor was done correctly it will come up in
small pieces. Your not going to be scraping any tile. A sledge hammer
works to get started.

The question is really, what is the 300 worth to you and yours? You will
spend most if not all of the weekend doing this. Make sure you cover
everything of value. The chips will fly everywhere.