Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Default Why is a cats head call a cats head?

Tom Miller wrote:

that's what I thought of as well, Dan.

Tom

"DanG" wrote in message
Different trades, different backgrounds!!!

Cathead, in my experience, is a smooth power
driven drum used in winching. here's one:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/oilandgas/illustrated_glossary/cathead.html

Went to look for one to show you and came up
with this from answers.com:
A beam projecting outward from the bow of a ship
and used as a support to lift the anchor.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"TheAndroid" wrote in
message
oups.com...
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is
called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

However, from the OED:
a. A small capstan (Simmonds Dict. Trade 1858).
b. A broad-bully hammer (Raymond Mining Gloss.).
c. An attachment to a lathe to assist in supporting long bars when they
are being turned' (Cent. Dict. Suppl. 1909).
1940 Chambers's Techn. Dict. 141/2 Cathead or spider, a lathe accessory
consisting of a turned sleeve.

So perhaps, as resembling "a small capstan" the lathe attachment
became so named..

Tom