Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Repair my Emglo AM78-HV4V air compressor

"Ignoramus7637" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:02:59 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus7637 wrote:

I am surprised about the cost of caps that you were quoted. They
actually should cost a lot less. I have a few start caps that I bought
new for like $3 apiece, each about 180 uF. I can sell you a couple for
the same price, I have too many. If you arer local to Chicagoland, I
can loan you some.

Can you remove belt (if it is a belted compressor) and see if the
motor starts by itself without a load?

Another test is to put a pull rope in the pulley (with no compressor),
turn the AC power on, and try to start it like a gasoline engine. Or a
RPC without pony motor or caps.

Yes, that's a good test, but make sure that all rope is gone off the
shaft before you turn AC on (could sound obvious, but needs to be
said).

Lots easier just to give the pulley a spin by hand.

--

-Mike-