Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default Demanding Home Insurance Companies

Bob ) said...

I've never heard of an insurance company requiring things like that, but
it's common for a mortgage company to do it. Some mortgage companies even
have written into their contract that a heater must be inspected yearly.

Here in Canada, mortgage lenders want proof of insurance, leaving the
onus on the insurance companies to make their own demands.

My sister and her husband received notice from their insurance company a
few years ago that their house had to be rewired. The house was build
in the 1930s or 1940s and was wired with knob and tube (K&T) wiring and
the insurance company gave them a year's notice to have the rewiring done.

K&T is "legal non-conforming" under our electrical code. That means you
can't put it in new, but if you change your electric panel, you don't have
to replace it, there are code rules for interfacing it to the new panel.

I have heard of other things that insurance companies have a hissy fit
over. One is a product known as "insul-brick". It is a material like
asphalt shingles that has the pattern of bricks on it. It used to be used
as a siding-like material to cover sheathing.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon