Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

Default Need Schematic for Dell/Sony P991 19" CRT Monitor

Ok Fine the reason I suggested clean the gap was because
I just had one similar on an RCA TV that was in a sort of damp
location and cleaning did the trick.Best of luck trouble shooting
the Monitor .Most probably a bad IHVT or Focus Network if it has one.

kip

kip
"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Kip,

Thanks for the reply. The device that is sparking is a sealed glass bulb.
It most closely resembles a neon bulb. It has two soldered in leads and
the
"spark gap" appears to be inside a gas filled glass cavity. My guess here
is that the electrode distance is fixed and that the distance coupled with
the type of gas inside the bulb probably determines the breakdown voltage.

As such there is no way to clean the spark gap as you have recommended. I
could certainly remove the device and see what happens, or find a
replacement. I may even be able to swap it with one of the other devices
on
the CRT socket board which appear to be the same. I am leery of doing
this
though right away. I would prefer to test the critical devices first to
see
is any has drifted out of spec over time. I also would appreciate getting
the schematic so that I can confirm the other devices are in fact the same
value so could be swapped.

Thanks again. Let me know if you have additional feedback or thoughts.
Sorry for not being more clear on the type of voltage surge device being
employed.

Bob

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
First try cleaning the spark gap..
Second disconnect the base assembly an see if it arcs whilst disconnected