Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default howto fixture ABS sheet plastic?

At work we're really fond of a no-backing kind of tape called Mactac.
Mactac appears to be the manufacturer and it is most awesome stuff. The
fact that it's just the adhesive alone means all the shear strength in it is
the surface its bonded to. We use it to secure parts and/or tools together
temporarily for drilling, milling, and part holding, but it also has
permanent applications elsewhere in the factory. Takes a good bit of
patience to get apart two solid objects, since they are so securely bonded
together. Give it a bit of a wedging and wait before prying some more.
I like to secure some objects together by using regular masking tape on
the more fragile surface, putting the mactac on the masking tape, the
putting them together. The tape combination allows a surface with some
variations in it to stick to a more smooth surface, and spreads out the load
so it doesn't peel up vinyl or other thin surfaces and finishes.
Never had to buy it, so I wouldn't know where to get it.