Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default howto fixture ABS sheet plastic?

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
As the subject says.....

I would like to machine some 2D shapes out of ABS sheet plastic, but I
don't know how to hold the stock while doing so.

I think some sort of adhesive w/ a sacrificial backer would be best,
but then don't know what to use. Something that I can stick it down,
machine it and then peel off the part and clean off the adhesive.

The only other option I can think of is vacuum, but that is a lot more
involved than the other method.

In the past I've used double-sided carpet tape from the hardware store to
mill thin stock, usually with a piece of sacrificial aluminum under the
tape. The worst was probably 0.015" thick nylon which was milled into 1/8"
x 1/4" pieces with 0.060" holes on end of each piece and a 1/32" x 0.10"
slot on the other. I used a 1/32" end mill for all but the hole, which made
with a drill bit. The major problem was pulling up adhesive into the end
mill, which would gum up the works so to speak. Getting the cutting depth
just below the work helped, but it still needed cleaning after each piece.
Acetone generally worked well to release the work, though ethanol should
also work.

You'd probably want the sort of double-sided tape that does not have a foam
base.

Mike