Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

Default [OT] Coffeepot temperature

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:20:32 GMT, the renowned Richard Lamb
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:27:46 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

There were a number of postings on the tort suit McDonalds lost because
their coffee was too hot, at 180 degrees F, scalding a woman who tried
to hold the cup between her legs in the car.

We just got a brand new Krups coffeemaker, and I got curious, and
measured the coffee temperature. It's 180 degrees F, just like the
coffee books recommend.

Think someone will sue Krups?

Joe Gwinn

You probably don't serve it in styrofoam cups -- at least I hope you
don't. Just pouring it into a non-preheated mug will chill it well
below 180. You probably also don't use snap-top lids.

I make tea in the microwave for that reason. The water in my mug is
boiling when I take it out of the nuke and drop in the tea infuser --
which has very little thermal mass.

Well, ok for tea, I suppose, but I really dislike microwaved coffee...

I don't think it's okay for tea, but I don't use an infuser. Bags seem
to froth up all over the place because of the air in the water. The
kettle (a 'Kenmore Elite' Euro-style type, but with our inferior 120V
power it takes longer to heat) boils the air out so you get nice still
tea with no froth. Instant coffee froths up too.

Wifey got suckered into buying this automated coffee thingie which
takes little cartridges for espresso, hot chocoloate, tea etc. Reads a
bar code and prepares the beverage accordingly. The inkjet printer
principle brought to coffeemakers. 8-(

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany