Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default telephone use and lightning

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:13:21 GMT, Rex's Mom
wrote:

Have heard and read conflicting info about what is 'safest'
type of telephone to use during lightning storm. I know the
general statement is *don't do it*, but if one must...

corded or cordless? does it matter if the telephone also has
an integrated answering machine?

It matters in that if lightening ruins your phone, it will ruin your
phone machine too. And you don't have to be on the phone for all
this to happen, but what are you going to do, not buy anything because
lightening might ruin it?. It can ruin your stove and refrigerator
too.

Definitely the cordless is safer, and also when you are in the
bathtub. They are totally safe. Although if you drop it into the
water, you may ruin the phone, but not yourself.

Like the ohter post, I have one friend I've tried to convince to keep
a corded phone. He says he'll borrow one if there is a power failure.
!!

I know it's basic, but I need to replace my very old
telephone(s) and want to make the *best* choice.

TIA

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.