Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Odd sink challenge: making it slope

On 16 Jan 2006 08:14:25 -0800, "kevin" wrote:

Hello!

I've got a small sink make from a plain white ceramic salad bowl. It
was mounted on a counter, and a hole was cut through for a chrome drain
pipe. Looks nice, but there is a problem. The bottom of the bowl --
about 1.5 inches radius beyond the edge of the drain pipe -- is pretty
much completely level, and worse, the metal drain pipe lip is raised
about 1mm above the level of the ceramic. Hence some water never drains
(horrible for toothpaste, for example).

Replacing the sink isn't an option -- is is smaller than I have been
able to find commercially, and a custom (pottery) sink costs a bit too
much. The space it is in is not amenable to standard sinks, and we like

If you can get a replacement ceramic salad bowl, drill a hole at one
edge of the flat area, and install the bowl 1:50 out of level.

Reguardless of whether you can do that, change the drain attachment
to one that snugs up against the bottom of the bowl instead of
sticking up through. That will get rid of the lip, at least.

(Solder a cut-off coupling and a washer made out of copper
flashing to the end of a copper drain-pipe, with enough
pipe sticking up through to engage, but not completely
pass through, the hole in the ceramic bowl)