Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pbc76049

Default howto fixture ABS sheet plastic?

Use Indoor-Outdoor carpet tape. There are 2 kinds.
The stuff that works has a fabric weave in it. The fine weave tape isn't as
good.
We ust it a LOT for router hold downs.

Scott.

--
Have a great day

Scott
"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...

Errol Groff wrote:
On 16 Jan 2006 08:02:15 -0800, "jw" wrote:

As the subject says.....

I would like to machine some 2D shapes out of ABS sheet plastic, but I
don't know how to hold the stock while doing so.

I think some sort of adhesive w/ a sacrificial backer would be best,
but then don't know what to use. Something that I can stick it down,
machine it and then peel off the part and clean off the adhesive.

The only other option I can think of is vacuum, but that is a lot more
involved than the other method.

TIA

Jeridiah

Dependingo the soze of the pieces I had good success using double side
Scotch tape. If the pieces are real small though there is not enough
gripping power in the tape. Trial and error will guide you.

I will give it a shot. Any particular brand or style(of tape) that
seems to work better?

JW