Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Adrian

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

The Natural Philosopher ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Well whether I am wrond fepend on waht you claimn I actually said.

Sorry, BabelFish failed on that one...

6/. I have also asserted that whilst stengthening of electrical
distribution would be needed - this is not a huge technical issue, and
te costs involved are no worse than building a substation for e.g. a
new town here and there.

The trouble is, it isn't *just* "here and there". It's replacing an awful
lot of petrol stations. 10,000 or so of them. Each of which can "recharge"
each visitor with 3-400 miles worth of charge in 5 minutes.

7/. the majority of short haul traffic has enough power coming into
their homes to recharge overnight, on cheap rates, and with very
little infrastrucure adiition being requried. Only those travelling
more than 200 miles would NEED fast charging anyway.

Again, the problem is not so much one of "Only those travelling more than
200 miles" but one of "Only those _who will ever_ require the ability to
travel more than 200 miles". Which is the vast majority of users.

Not to mention all those urban dwellers who have no access to their
domestic electricity where they park. That's a lot of infrastructure
required for enabling "Oh, you've parked here? No problem, charge and
bill" points.

8/. The area where BEV shows the best efficiency, is in short haul
urban situations. This is also where on-street pollutiuon is at its
worst.

It's also where private transport is least needed.

do realise that just because a sinclair C5 is about as much use as
Drivels dick up your arse

small voice
I'd like a Sinclair C5.

LOUD VOICE