Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:13:59 +0000, Pete C wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:27:29 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

THe 700W or so output of the Aga is simply added to the heat from the
CH, so that in effect it is an additional heat source for space
heating. As a consequence, the CH boiler is running at a lower output
than it otherwise would.

In terms of the efficiency of use for space heating, I doubt whether
there is much of a difference in terms of what goes out of the flue
for either heat source.

Hi,

True, but if the Aga isn't room sealed then the ventilation
requirements will be fairly genereous.

Not really. Only in summer do you need to cool the place down, and I turn
mine off.

The air required for the burner is actually less than that specified for a
gas hob, and the ventilation requirements to extract the combustion
products are far more onerous. Agas end most of the cooking smells up the
chimney too.

No need for extractor fans.

And the efflux temperature on an aga pipe is well below that of my newish
oil CH boiler. So its apaprent its a better cinverter to low garde heat
than that is.

Condensing boilers would be similar I suspect,. however.
If you were to encase teh aga in a small room and allow it to get
insufferably hot, it most likely would use less fuel as well.

cheers,
Pete.