Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On 15 Jan 2006 08:23:56 -0800, wrote:

Anyway Andy, nobody would argue that you like your Aga and I'm sure you
can cook on it really well. But where you are p*ing into the wind is in
suggesting that they are in any way economical or practical. Don't let
that spoil your enjoyment.

They are economical if the space is large enough to need the heat output
anyway.

I realise few people live in the size of house we have, but frankly, the
aga is a saving over having central heating running everywhere - it heats
the bits we use in the day.

Its enough of a game this time of year fiddling with stats and so on to
control heat in the bits we don't use much.

As a cooker? well its very good at some things, covers about 85% of
everything we need, and with an electric hob, kettle and microwave, 95%,
the one exception being stir frying PROPERLY or barbequeing, but only a gas
hob and a charcoal barbecue work for those anyway. Gas barbecues taste
simply WRONG to me.

I ceratinly would not install an electric aga, unless for someone with bad
taste. I wouldn't put an aga in a small town house or a smaller suburban
property either. But for large kitchens in rural locations they do the job
very well indeed.

At least we CAN still cook when the electricity goes out, and have hot cups
of coffee. Which it does, for hours at a time, several times a year, it
seems.

Steam traction engines attract enthusiasts who spend many harmless
hours having innocent fun with them but nobody suggests that they are a
practical alternative to a modern vehicle.
Could be wrong here though - any minute now some bearded old chaps in
boiler suits could be angrily stabbing at their laptops with oily
fingers!
cheers
Jacob
PS Come to think when I had a solid fuel Rayburn a boiler suit was an
essential accessory - do they come with the kit if you buy a new one?