Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:52:44 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:16:49 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:51:15 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

Something else which needs to be factored in is price.

Why?

Because most people have to buy things and both cost and performance
are factors.

What actually matters is value to the buyer and ability to pay rather
than cost, and performance is a subjective thing in the context of a
cooker.

When the performance is mediocre and both the purchase
cost and running cost astronomic there is no sense in buying one
unless it is for other intangible reasons.

You are describing the performance as mediochre based on your
experiences of an old model and whatever criteria you subjectively
apply. I completely disagree, based on my criteria and experience of
a more recent product. It is not legitimate to make a blanket
statement suggesting mediochre performance as you have done, since
that is limited to your criteria only.

Running costs are not astronomic. I already gave you the figures that
I get, and do not regard those as astronomic. Again, this depends on
your scale of values. I could gather firewood for free and cook on
that, and argue that anything where I have to pay for the energy is
astronomic. It's a relative term.

GBP 9,600 for a cooker which then costs a further GBP500 a year to
run simply isn't worthwhile when set against its mediocre
performance.

1) At the measured rate of 700W, at a gas price of 2p a unit, that
adds up to around £120.

Yours appears to be the only Aga in the world to achieve this though.
Every other Aga manages more like 1000W standing load and this
increases up to 5,000W when cooking.

How many modern gas models have you measured at 1000W?

I can only tell you what I measured on mine, 700W quiescent.

Given that situation, it would be rather difficult fo ryou to assert
that mine is the only one that achieves those figures.

"The running costs of these cookers is about £400-500 per annum" (Aga
salesman).

From the figures Aga quote a 4 oven gas Aga uses 527kw/hr a week or
27.4 Megawatt/hrs per year. At present gas prices that is an annual
bill of GBP 540 - GBP 600 per year depending upon supplier.

If you read *all* of the data sheet you would see that the word
"typical" is used. They don't say what "typical" means or how they
measure it.

--

..andy