Posted to uk.d-i-y
TonyK

Default Storage heaters - Does covering them cause them to break down?

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My lodger has just had a 2nd storage heater break down on her (I
replaced the 1st one having been unsuccessful in trying to cure the
problem by replacing the input thermostat).

She had been covering the heater with her towel.

Would this cause the heater to fail?

If yes, is there typically a specific peice of equipment that fails.

All advice gratefully received....

Steve

First off, never cover a storage heater. Our place was nearly burnt down by
someone covering an old heater a few years back. The only plus point was it
prompted me to replace all the heaters with new models with a thermal cut
out.

If its a newer style dimplex there is a small reset switch (metal tab)
behind a sliding cover which is access by removing the from panel. You MUST
make sure the heater is isolated before you do this though as there are lots
of "live" parts under the cover.