Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Default Culligan water "conditioner"...performance lacking?

Got,

As others have pointed out it is easy to get your water tested for
hardness. If you don't want to buy the kit take a glass jar of cold tap
water to Sears, stand near the water softeners, look prosperous. A salesman
will show up quickly to test your water.
It's possible that your hot water tank is a reservoir of hardness. After
3 months I would be surprised though but drain and refill it.
I own a Sears unit. It works ok but the rotary valve needs to be cleaned
annually and the price of Sears parts is scandalous.

Dave M.