Gary Coffman

Default Opinions wanted on 3 in 1 mill/lathe

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:42 -0700, "PW" wrote:
How about a Grizzly G4003 or G4016 for a lathe and the G3616 for a mill?

They'd be adequate. (Do realize that they'll need some tweaking to get
them ready to work. That's normal for any of the import machines in this
price class.) MSC, ENCO, J&L, Travers, (even the infamous Harbor Freight)
sell similar machines (probably from the same factories). Shop around,
you can probably beat Grizzly's deal, especially if you can find a distributor's
showroom or warehouse close by so you can save on shipping.

Also, I see a combo vertical/horizontal ( What are the benifits? ) mill
(G3617) for a couple hundred more.

I've kicked the tires on that one a couple of times myself. I've resisted
buying one though. A horizontal mill is very convenient for certain sorts
of milling jobs (and typically lots more rigid than a vertical mill of similar
size). Having both in one machine looks like a good deal. It isn't quite
as versatile in vertical mode as a purpose built vertical mill of the Bridgeport
type, but it is much better as a horizontal mill than a Bridgeport with a
horizontal adapter. Still, I'm continuing to look for a used *separate*
horizontal mill for my shop. That'll probably be better, and much cheaper
too, since hobbyists tend to shy away from them.

Gary