Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default Strange Screws

wrote:

I'm looking for a 5-point star shaped screwdriver. I bought a Seagate
80GB external hard drive. Its case uses these special screws. I shot a
picture of a screw he
http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Tool/...int%20star.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find a screwdriver for these screws?
Thanks.

I'm not sure now if it was Radio Shack or Sears-- but I bought a $20
set that has about a dozen tips for jeweler's sized unusual screw
heads. There are a couple Torx Plus tips in there & I've taken apart
a bunch of hard drives with them. [I've been taking them apart to
play with the magnets--- not as strong as I expected in the newer
drives]

Curiosity got the best of me-- this isn't my set, but Sears has this
18pc set for $20;
Sears item #00941709000 Mfr. model #63518
[no torx plus but a T6, T7, T8, & T9 size Torx]

Ah -- Here it is- Radio Shack, $15
Model: 64-2973
Catalog #: 64-2973
Kronus 20-Piece Electronics Bit-Driver Set

1 x Ergonomic Anti-Static Handle
4 x Slotted Bits (2, 2.5, 3, and 4mm)
2 x Phillips Bits (#00, and #0)
5 x Torx Bits (T-6, T-7, T-8, T-9, and T-10)
3 x Hex Bits (1.5, 2, and 2.5mm)
2 x POZI Bits (#00, and #0)
3 x Hex Round Ball Bits (1.5, 2, 2,5mm)
1 x Plastic Carrying Case

Especially for such an inexpensive set is is pretty well built except
for the cheap plastic case.

Jim