Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

Default What is it? XCVII

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:23 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

,;humunculus wrote:
,;
,; You sure?
,; http://tinyurl.com/atqaw
,;
,; --humunculus
,;
,;
,;Yeah, I'm sticking with ice auger. They are all similar, but you'll
,;note that one of those someone else pointed to is 30"... closer to
,;what I'd expect for an anchor. And as someone else pointed out, the
,;eye is different... more for turning and less for anchoring.

Well I have lived in ice fishing country for almost 80 years and have
never seen a device like this for drilling holes in ice.

I perceive a problem when this tool breaks through something like 2
feet of ice and doesn't clean the bottom of the hole. How in hell are
you going to get the damned thing back out of the hole? The old timers
had the foresight to run the flutes up far enough so one could keep it
centered and remove the drill. You would spend more time removing the
drill than you would spend fishing. Of course with the wooden cross
handle one could let it sit on the ice while planning the next move.

My guess is post hole digger or anchor. If it was used for a canopy
anchor one could drill down a foot or so and then place a pipe over it
with a rope or cable coming up to tie down the canopy.

Ice augers have a sharp shaver. This device does not.
,;

Stuff snipped