Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default expanding an off center hole

Art wrote:

Hello RCM'rs.

If you have an existing 1/4" dia hole (1/2" deep), and want to drill
a new hole of 1/2" dia and offset it .040" from the center of the 1/4
hole but you only have a drill press how would you do it?

Right now I'm thinking of trying a drill bushing correctly oriented
over the part and just trying a twist drill but was hoping there is a
better way ( I would normally try plunge cut will mill).
TIA for any comments.

AL

Use a drill bushing and an end mill in the drill press is the cheap
fix. The drill bushing will (should?) keep the mill from wandering
sideways. I'd be inclined to use, say, a 7/16" mill to move the hole
over, then work up to size after comfirming that I was on my location.

Best solution would be a boring head in a mill, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones