Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default new 9 by 20 lathe - how do I fit it?

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Question - how do I do this, and get the chip tray on, without killing
myself. It weighs 95Kg, and I cant lift it up, slide the tray onto the
mounting bolts, and tighten it up. Tomorrow, I will purchase a sheet of
1 inch MDF as a base, countersink the bottom, and set up the mounting
bolts. (My radio workbenches are NOT designed to hold anything this big
and heavy).

How do I manouvre(sp) it up, onto the bench, line it up with the
mounting bolts, and get it down onto the mounting bolts. Without
killing myself, or needing to take yet another trip to the Chiropractor
to fix my back. (Again).

I dont have an engine lift, and cant borrow one. My friends are mainly
Andrew VK3BFA.

..... .. .... .. -.. . .-- .- ....- --.. . --.

It's _only_ 210lb? Even a fairly poorly built ceiling should handle that
with a couple of cross-braces spanning two or more trusses(rafters).

If you _really_can't_ borrow or rent an engine hoist, use a block and
tackle.

That's a really light lathe, and shouldn't be a bad job getting it up.

The MDF isn't a great idea, though. Although MDF has a fairly stable
surface layer, it's not stable dimensionally in changing humidity, and will
rack your equipment out of true and level with every change of climate. If
I had to use wood for the top, I'd choose a more stable wood, like VERY fat
yellow pine. But wood isn't a great choice.

LLoyd