Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default OT - The Cost of War

"Gus" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Gus" wrote in message
ups.com...

That's kind of the way I remember it too. The North Vietnamese could
never defeat the US military on the battle field but they could defeat
us at home in our own public opinion. (with a little help from their
friends in the US media) Of course, in 1968 I wasn't too concerned
about politics because the Marine Corps was taking all my time.
GW

Gee, Gus, even though it was a Democrat war, it sounds like you really

kind
of favored it, huh?

Well you know, Democrats in the 60's were not all that different from
Republicans today.

There are people here who will gag and vomit over that statement, Gus. g

At that time I considered myself somewhat of a Scoop
Jackson type Democrat. I don't think that I have changed all that much
but I sure do think that the Democrats of today have swung way off to
the left.

The main thing that happened was Nixon's "Southern Strategy." He peeled off
the southern conservatives from the Democrats and converted them into
Republicans, by using code phrases and selective silences to give the
impression that he was a racist, just like them. It worked.

With the Dems no longer trying to bridge the gap and keep the old
northern/southern Democratic coalition together, they swung left. A lot of
people, probably like yourself, switched parties somewhere along the line --
not over race, but because of the excesses of '60s/'70s liberalism. In fact,
I've been a registered Republican for a very long time, myself, after having
been a Democrat when I was young.

Hey, how about those Seahawks!

I didn't watch any football this weekend, but it sounds like the Seahawks
ground them down on Saturday, eh? Keep the faith. I'm just waiting for
baseball season. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress