Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Storage heaters - Does covering them cause them to break down?

On 16 Jan 2006 07:10:50 -0800 someone who may be "Steve"
wrote this:-

My lodger has just had a 2nd storage heater break down on her (I
replaced the 1st one having been unsuccessful in trying to cure the
problem by replacing the input thermostat).

She had been covering the heater with her towel.

Would this cause the heater to fail?

I would hope so. One alternative to this is that she might burn your
house down. Which would you prefer?

Other than heaters designed for drying things, such as towel rails,
electric heaters should not be covered. At best the heater will just
discolour what is placed on it, due to the high surface
temperatures. At worst it will set fire to what is covering the
heater, or set the heater itself on fire. Ventilation slots are
provided for a reason and should not be blocked.

Towel rails that fit onto certain makes/models of storage heater are
available. One can also get towel rails that fit onto the wall
behind the heater. One can also get drying racks that can stand on
the floor.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh