Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:03:36 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:25 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I'm not sure why people eat stodgy rubbish like steamed puddings
anyway,

Oh Andy! Steamed puddings are anything BUT stodgy - they're light and airy
(if made properly) and I wish I could afford to eat them more often.
Nothing
todo with finances - the waistline you understand ...

Even like that, which we can do, they still have too high a glycaemic
load for me to eat more than a tiny amount, so typically we don't
bother with them.

But you SAID they were stodgy!

We periodically do an overnight roast in the simmering oven and it
always works very well. Obviously one should always thaw it first
and check with a meat thermometer and start and end of cooking. THat
is the case regardless of the method of cooking.

Why a thermometer?

In the case of meat, I don't like it to be overcooked, although
obviously in the case of pork or poultry, one has to be sure that it
is enough.

You mean you can't tell its condition by sight and resilience?

I was once given a meat thermometer. Most people try to give me food related
presents, they know my passion. Because it was a present from someone I
loved I used it. I could see no value in it at all so it somehow became lost
... as do many gadgets. They're simply not necessary.

Thery are not if you have learn by trail and experience yoyr standard cuts
and the oven..but in terms of when e.g. you are doing a dibner party, with
a larger chuink than yoiu normally use, or of a different cut, they are so
cheap, that to not have one seems a waste.

KNOWING that youy beef is EXACTLY rare in the middle enables you to get it
more right.

And knowing that your turkey isn't dangerously raw in its armpits and
crotch is also very useful.

Mary