Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y
Victor Roberts

Default Smaller GLS bulbs

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:34:03 GMT, WM
wrote:

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 00:48:08, Victor Roberts xxx@lighting-
research.com wrote:

There is a test
called the "slumper can test" used in the lamp industry to
check for processing contamination. A closed metal can is
placed over an operating incandescent lamp. This heats the
glass to higher than normal operating temperature. If the
lamp is not clean then the higher glass temperature will
drive contaminants such as water vapor out of the glass
bulb, the filament will crack the water into hydrogen and
oxygen and the oxygen will combine with the tungsten,
causing the lamp to have shorter than normal life.

Does this mean that when I smear the bulb of my bedside light with
aromatic oil such as bergamot (to make the smell diffuse into the
room) then I am *noticeably* shortening the life of the bulb?

No. I was talking about contamination INSIDE the bulb. Your
oil is on the outside. The glass keeps air out so it will
obviously keep oil out :-) Now, if you completely cover
the lamp with a thick enough layer of oil or any other
material so that an insulating layer is formed AND the lamp
was not properly processed so that it has residual
contamination, then - perhaps.

--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.