Posted to alt.home.repair
Wilma Harrington

Default Advice please - 3 way light switches - I just moved into an older house

Advice please - 3 way light switches - I just moved into an older house
where the light switches in the entry way seem to be terribly confused.
(There are 4 switches 2/2 - porch light, coat closet, on/off hall light
from upstairs, on/off same hall light from downstairs) I've replaced 3
way switches before so that's not the problem (famous last words?),
however, that was in a different house. What I'd like to know is: Is
there a way to test the wiring BEFORE throwing the circuit breaker
power back on?

The need for a way to test it first is because the breaker box is
downstairs into the basement and then to the opposite corner of the
house. I worry that if the switches weren't wired right, I might see
pretty sparks when I run zoom upstairs and around a corner to check on
my repair job. And then have run zoom back downstairs and across to
make sure the power is back off. Just the thought makes me nervous.

Any hints or ideas will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you,

Wilma Harrington