Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default Dowling rather then tenons?

Pocket screws are made with a self tapping point. Never had anything split
yet. Standard screws wedge their way in. Pocket screws cut their way in.

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
loutent wrote:

I'm like that... except that I would add
pocket screws to the list.

Speaking of pocket screws...

I've never tried that method of joining but I have a question: Every
single jig I've seen advertised shows the screw hole NOT being drilled
into the stile. The step bit drills pocket, and the hole for the screw
shank, but not deep enough for the whole screw. What happens when you
try to bury a screw into a the edge of a piece of oak with no pilot
hole? Am I missing something?

Joe Barta