Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Don Young

Default What is it? XCVII

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Look at the eyes on the ones which your link leads to, and
compare it to the one on the puzzle photo. That puzzle photo one
is *only* designed to accept a wooden rod as a T-handle, not to
serve as a tie-down eye.

I still say post-hole digger.

I see what you mean, but I disagree.

I think if it were a post hole digger it would likely NOT have a
removable handle and the handle-neck juncture would probably be a
little beefier to hold up to years of use.

Our mystery auger seems to be made somewhat cheaply... which is
exactly what you'd expect with something that will see limited use and
will need to be bought in quantity.

I still think it's an earth auger anchor... we'll have to agree to
disagree.

Joe Barta

I have a post hole digger of this type, not having any fluting to bring out
the soil but a heavier shaft and fixed wooden handle. Since the shaft and
eye seem so light, I wonder if it might be an anchor for use in some kind of
loose material? I can't really imagine what material.
Don Young