Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
'Key

Default Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

"John Mallette" wrote in message
My favorite one now is the chains at the malls who send
out small safes such as a McGunn. They expect the store
managers to be able to do combo changes so they send them
the key and some instructions. Or they start to use
U-Change cylinders. I enjoy working on the things that
are used to eliminate the locksmith, than I do otherwise.

does not "eliminate the locksmith".
we earn pretty good bucks contracting to
Security Solutions (U-Change).

A few years ago, a local chain store started selling small
rekey kits. It came with 2 keys, pins for 2 cylinders and
a follower aith instructions. The packages said, why pay
for expensive locksmiths. I got a few calls from the
customers to repair these rekeyed locks.

few ?
we still get many calls after some folks try the "do it
yourself" thing.
many can accomplish it and many can-not.

Locksmithing will never be a dead industry.

agree..
would like to add,
as long as one is willing to invest their time and $$$$$'s
in their future
and the changes in this industry.

And just one more example, a commercial rental company
here got tired of paying 14 bucks to rekey SFIC cores. So
they bought a punch and pin kit. They then asked us to
"give" them the bitting lists for all of the buildings
that they had. Yeah right!

If you charged "them" for generating "their" master system?
it belongs to "them" and they should be "given" a copy.
if you didn't charge "them" for generating "their" master
system?
then its "yours".

my2¢

--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people