Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Barry Mann

Default THD claims of audio signal generators

In , on 01/15/06
at 03:17 PM, "Arny Krueger" said:

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
. com...
I think any discussion of tubes transistors and distortion should be
tempered with an appreciation of the historic shift in design
techniques.

For example, undergraduate 1950's and 1960's tube designers didn't have
Root Locus in their tool bag.

I learned root locus stability analysis in the mid-60s.

This page references a text from that time:

http://www.cbu.edu/~rprice/lectures/rootlocus.html

Coughanowr's book came out in 1965. Coughanowr received his PhD in
1956, so any precident-setting paper was probably published in the
preceeding 15 or so years.

I think that it was Bode and crew at Bell Labs during the 1940's that
developed the ground work. I can remember a Knight Kit tube amplifier
of about 1960 that was advertised as being unconditionally stable.
Then, it was a unique product. A few years later I learned exactly what
that meant, but at the time I did appreciate that I did not need to
fuss about accidentally unloading the output.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)