Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BEAR

Default expanding an off center hole

Art wrote:

Hello RCM'rs.

If you have an existing 1/4" dia hole (1/2" deep), and want to drill
a new hole of 1/2" dia and offset it .040" from the center of the 1/4
hole but you only have a drill press how would you do it?

Right now I'm thinking of trying a drill bushing correctly oriented
over the part and just trying a twist drill but was hoping there is a
better way ( I would normally try plunge cut will mill).
TIA for any comments.

AL

Unless ur drill press is really without slop in the bearings, runs
really true, and has a really tight fit to the taper - find a guy or
shop with a mill!

The local college almost always has a machine shop - the big ones have
"student" machine shops... gunsmiths tend to have mills... I have at
least 2 neighbors within 1 mi with mills (I have two myself now, but
that's not the point...)

Oh, unless the material is soft - plastic, aluminum, brass, then the
drill press stands a chance.

_-_-bear