Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:09:48 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Mine's been going since October. I will stop using it in April, perhaps.
A relative has a Stanley. There's another cooker next to it. His wife is
a very good cook indeed, perhaps a more "organic" and "vegetarian" than
the vast majority of cooks, but still, a very good cook. Stanley in
season, electric otherwise.
My grandmother had a Rayburn. In the dairy, she also had an electric
cooker, which was used sometimes in Winter, most other times.
My grandfather had in a place which had an Aga the like of which I've
never seen before, with at least two places you could put fuel in, and
lots of doors and lids and bits and pieces. I have no idea of the
capabilities of his cook or kitchen helper, but they were at least good.
Electric cooking apparatus also present.

I know others who have these things, similar stories.

I have made the point, and so did TNP, that an Aga can contribute
usefully to the space heating of the house. In that respect, when
one takes the broad view, rather than the narrow one that you have, it
is an efficient way of providing some of the space heating.

You don't need space heating for much of the time, and when you do, it's
far more sensible to direct it properly.

That depends on the house and the pattern of use.

I think that using the Aga as one of the heat sources in the house is
entirely reasonable since it's a fairly small proportion in the
winter, and covers more of the need for the rest of the year.

I also pointed out, that IME, it is a great way to cook once you learn
the techniques. I found that pretty easy, not everybody does.

So what. It's easy to cook with, although somewhat limited in effectuality.

I don't find that at all, and certainly don't limit myself to what is
cooked.

Some people feel that they can only cook on a gas flame that they can
turn up and down because that is the only way they can control what's
going on. For them, that may be the case, but it certainly is not
the only way to do so.

An Aga or Rayburn is more akin to using electric cooking, with added lag
and hysteresis.

???

It's not meant to be used like either, so this doesn't make sense as a
comparison.

You have certainly missed mine!

There's none so blind as those that *will not* see.

Quite.

You seem to be in a small minority with your views.

I have never been one to go with the herd, so thinking laterally is
fairly natural.

That's more telling
than smart-alec weaseling.

That's about it, really, unless you've something *startlingly* new or
interesting to say.

I've been clear about what I've done, what I've found and what I've
measured. The mileage of others may vary (to paraphrase).

--

..andy