Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:49:57 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:23:54 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

How would you define stodgy?

Well, in this context, since you used the word, the onus is on you to
define
it but stodgy to me is dense and heavy. I've never had a steamed pudding
like that.

OK. I meant more in the context of carbohydrate-heavy, and any of
these tend to be of that genre even if they do have an apparently
light texture.

You mean like bread?

Some types, not others.

I suspect you mean the calorie content, which is more to do with the fat
element.

Both carbohydrates and fats contribute to calories, although it is
true to say that fats normally contain more calories for a given
weight than carbohydrates.

My primary objective is maintaining blood glucose levels, while the
secondary one is to control weight. My way of doing that is to look
more at glycaemic load, which is related to the proportion of
carbohydrate in a portion of food and its glycaemic index. Fat content
can be beneficial in certain instances, since it slows down the rate
of processing into the bloodstream.

In essence the way I do this is to avoid processed foods as much as
possible (especially any that are created for one formulaic fad diet
or another) and if I want to eat something that might be considered
to be high in one component or another, to balance that off against
something else or eat a very small quantity. It's effective and
sustainable and suits my needs

Background and some clinical references at
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...ohydrates.html

--

..andy