Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Wiring question #2,719

Doug,

Since you believe the wire is 220V, you'll need to kill the power and
open the box to look at it. 220V wiring has a ground and two hots, no
real color code to go by but the ground should be obvious. If you
measure with a volt meter from the ground to one of the other wires, you
should get 120V, to either. Measuring across the two that are not
ground will give the 220V. So, if you want to use this for a regular
120V outlet you will need to cap off one of the wires (not ground).
You'll also need to change the circuit breaker to protect the amperage
rating of whatever you're going to use that outlet for, 15A-20A is
common. At the breaker box you can just remove that dual-gang breaker
and install a regular breaker (cheaper too). Just remember to also cap
off the wire you're not using in the breaker box also. If the wire in
the box where you're wanting to put an outlet is too heavy a gage to
wire directly to the outlet then you'll need to see the electricians at
your local store to see what they have available to reduce it (properly).

Doug Kanter wrote:

At a friend's house, there's a covered box over a work bench, with a really
fat wire going into it, nothing coming out. We suspect the previous owner
had some sort of 220v tools there, maybe. My friend would like a regular
110v outlet. The house was built around 1985. Am I correct in thinking there
are two hot lines in there, and that I can pick off just one of them plus
neutral in order to get 110v? We're hoping to not have to run another line
back to the breaker box. What's the color arrangement for a 220v line,
assuming that's what's there? (Haven't gone in with a meter yet to measure).