Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

Default Demanding Home Insurance Companies

For a number of reasons, homeowner's insurance has become less
profitable than it was, so the companies now are not as eager to write
these policies as they once were.

I doubt they are threatening to cancel the policy; I think it is likely
that they have advised that they will not renew the policy on expiration
unless those conditions are met. This has become a very common position
in the US insurance industry. Also, claims experience is now an
important factor in deciding whether to write or renew a policy, to the
extent that some people now will fix some things at their own expense,
rather than making a claim under their policy.

So before telling this company to take a walk, you should be certain
that you will be able to get insurance from another company and how much
it will cost.

Handi wrote:
I've heard of experiences from family & friends of retaining or
obtaining home insurance for their properties here in Canada. Is the same
true in the USA? Is it a trend?

When I bought my home I had to provide proof of the age and condition of
the furnace oil tank before I could get an insurance policy. My mother was
threatened twice by her home insurance company of cancellation if she didn't
replace furnace oil tank and her roof.

I know they are trying to protect their losses but should they be able
to threaten their customers like this?

Handi