Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default How long does it take?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:02:18 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How old was the tree?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ha-ha. That question is valid only if you were the one who planted
it.

Seriously, though, try to put yourself in the customer's place. It's
a valid question, stemming from interest and curiosity, probably,
rather than haggling strategy. A reasonable answer would be, "It
varies a lot, depending on the bowl, and a lot of factors--could go
from half a day to a week, sometimes."

It's also an Odd question and, it seems to me, somewhat rude. Say you
were buying a hand knit scarf, would you ask how long it took to make it?
How long did it take to make that sandwich? Etc. I might ask someone How
they did something and not be bothered if they didn't want to discuss it

I actually did ask just that question last week!

We were in Baja and went to the local swap meet and there was a lady there
selling hats woven out of plastic walmart bags.... She seemed to sell a few in
the 20 minutes that we talked to her, at $25 each...

Maybe it's because I'm hoping to make a little money down there selling wood
stuff, but one of the first things that popped out was something like "wow,
those are really different, how long does it take you to make one?"

She didn't react as if I was being rude, so I hope I wasn't... she said
something like "4 hours to a week, depending on how much I feel like making
them"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing