Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Bandsaw blade sharpening

I use this method. As another post mentioned, don't bother with fine
toothed blades. I only sharpen 2 or 3 tooth resaw blades with the
dremel. I use a 3/16"chainsaw cylindrical stone. This will file the
gullets and the face of the tooth at the same time.
Before grinding, clean the saw of any dust, a spark could cause a fire.
Raise the guide post up. The dremel goes straight in and out, holding
it level and square to the blade. Bandsaw blades are filed in the rip
configuration, no need to angle the dremel.
Usually four strokes are needed. In ,out ,in and out again. My saw
blade is 113", takes about 20 minutes to file the blade. You will find
this method will sharpen a blade better than new. Most new bandsaw
blades are stamped out and not ground.My blades last for several
years,they break from metal fatiuge rather than dull blades.
mike