Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:30:33 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My skill is based on understanding food and processes and being
able to use an oven is a very small part of that.

It is nonetheless a part, and whilst one may be able to cook in or on
anything its much easier on most days to have some idea of the
temperature being used. I do agree with you though that without an
understanding of basic food chemistry and processes cooking can
easily become an unrewarding "monkey see, monkey do" process.

This summer I shall be cooking outdoors in my home built stone bread
oven -but it won't be limited to bread. How many who think that an Aga is no
good would even understand that process?

Most I would think, it isn't difficult. Those who wouldn't will be
equally happy warming up their M&S readydinners in an Aga or whatever
else they choose to use.

You think you might by Googling
perhaps but have you done it? I have. It's the most satisfying cooking there
is.

Only when it's a hobby. When you have to live off primitive cooking
you begin to realise why women in countries where it is a necessity
rarely get educated or escape the home - cooking even dull staples
becomes a full time job. Peering into a pot and saying "what's that
with the legs?" to be answered with "Not sure - wasn't there when I
put it on the fire" has a limited long term attraction.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/