xman Charlie

Default drilling steel?

Just drilled to holes to mount my mill vise.

I used 450rpm.

First hole with a 1/8 drill.

Second hole with a 3/8 drill.

Steel plate thickness was 8mm.

my 2 cents

"Dave" wrote in message
Hiya

I have just tried drilling some 3mm thick mild steel with a 13mm
hole......... hell of a lot of noise, loads of vibration and now the drill
seems to do anything but drill!

Ok, please stop laughing, I'm a beginer!!

The drill bit was a Piranna 'Bullet' that it said was for drilling metal,
but what I have only just realsied is that the max recomended rpm for 10mm
was about 1000. The drill was the cheapest Clarkes one speed drill (i'm on

budget and this might be a '1 of' project) so I guess this is much faster.

So my questions a
Is the drill running too fast? What speed should i drill 12mm holes at?

Does
anyone know where I can the cheapest drill to drill at the recommended
speed?

Thanks for any help given

Dave