Michael Rainey

Default Basics on Depth of Cuts

(Chris S) wrote in message . com...
Hi everyone, I am currently a student and my teacher hasn't been able
to give me a real direct answer and everyone I ask just gives me what
DOC they use but I want to find out how to get the DOC.

Basically I was taking to deep of cuts and keeping the feed rate high
which I realized was wrong. So I am basically trying to find a formula
or a log or something that will help me determine a DOC.

For example I am cutting 6061-T6 Aluminum at using a 1/4 4 Flute
endmill with a FPM of 75 and a DOC of 0.025" and a Spindle Speed of
6000 since that is when the machine max's out. I understand where the
RPM, IPM, and FPM comes from and how to calculate them. I just have no
idea where the DOC comes from. So if anyone could explain it or give
me a formula it will greatly be appreciated.

Your teacher can't give you a real direct answer because there is no
such thing. Your depth of cut depends on too many variables:

the tool - how rigid is it - stickout length, held in collet or end
mill holder, number of flutes, style (standard, hog mill, high helix,
etc)

the workpiece - rigid or flimsy, held securely or not

the machine - rigidity, horsepower

the material - for example, you don't want to take deep roughing cuts
in aluminum with a four flute end mill - will often chatter like crazy
- need more chip clearance

coolant - harder to get coolant to the tool with deep cuts - chips get
in the way - aluminum can weld to the tool at high speed without
coolant - uncooled steel cutting can fry the tool

Other folks can fill in more blanks.

What is 75 FPM ?