Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Demanding Home Insurance Companies

Handi wrote:
I've heard of experiences from family & friends of retaining or
obtaining home insurance for their properties here in Canada. Is the same
true in the USA? Is it a trend?

When I bought my home I had to provide proof of the age and condition of
the furnace oil tank before I could get an insurance policy. My mother was
threatened twice by her home insurance company of cancellation if she didn't
replace furnace oil tank and her roof.

I know they are trying to protect their losses but should they be able
to threaten their customers like this?

Handi

I don't know if threaten is a term they should use - cancellation of
policy - for sure. Oil tanks in this province are regulated and
registered by the gov't and must be of a certain age and csa approved
or they won't be covered. Neighbour had hers leak and the clean up cost
was roughly 250,000 dollars - actually had to dig up the inside
basement of the home next to hers - so I guess the insurance companies
have a right to be worried. There was another case where the clean up
crew stopped at 700,000 dollars. As for the roof - around here, if you
don't bring your roof up to standards you could either get cancelled or
sign a waiver with the insurance coverage to exclude any damage caused
on the interior of the home due to a leaking roof.